Is Rust in An Oven Dangerous? (Five Unbelievable Fact)


Kitchen equipment that makes meal preparation and cooking simple includes microwave ovens. However, they are susceptible to several issues, such as corrosion on the interior, much like any other electric appliances.

The appearance of electrical gadgets like microwave ovens is harmed by rust. But more significantly, it affects the device’s performance and builds quality.

It’s more challenging to repair internal rust. Rust can permanently harm the device if you ignore it for too long.

Why is the inside of my oven rusty?

Rust is a form of corrosion occurring on a metal’s surface. The reaction between water and oxygen with the metal causes it.

Rust is commonly seen in ferrous metals such as iron and steel, although it can also form on other metals such as aluminum. When air and moisture contact a metallic surface, rust is formed. Because of the oxygen in the air, the exposed metal surface oxidizes and develops a layer of rust.

Water and metal can react together to generate an oxide layer. This layer shields the underlying metal from further deterioration. Unfortunately, the metal will continue to rust if the oxide layer is damaged or removed.

A microwave oven’s inside develops rust due to environmental conditions, including humidity and the oven’s age. It can also occur if liquid spills inside the oven and is not thoroughly wiped up with a dry towel or if the oven door is not closed correctly, allowing moisture to enter. Internal microwave rust can be hazardous to one’s health and safety.

Can you cook in a rusty oven?


Microwave ovens use microwave radiation for cooking food. These waves force food particles to vibrate rapidly, producing heat. The heat created thus cooks the food. Microwaves reflect off the inner surfaces and containers of an oven. Microwave radiations from rusted surfaces can pose health and safety risks in the following ways.

Tetanus can be caused by the rust in the oven because the bacteria that causes tetanus flourishes in environments with low oxygen levels, such as rust inside an oven. If you cook food in a rust-contaminated oven, you might consume the rust and acquire tetanus. Tetanus is a potentially fatal illness that can cause muscular spasms, stiffness, trouble eating and breathing, and in rare cases, death.

Rust can potentially trigger an oven explosion. If you cook food in the oven and the food somehow starts burning, the flames will react with the rust and trigger an explosion. Fire and explosion are dangerous when cooking food in a rust-filled oven.

When there is too much heat and moisture in the oven, it interacts with the rust, causing the metal to strain and finally burst.

How do I get rid of rust in my oven?

The microwave oven’s inner container is made of metal. On top of this base cavity, special paints are applied to seal it and keep it intact.

When some of the colors peel away, the metallic surface is revealed. It starts to rust when exposed to moisture from food, accidental liquid spills, or even environmental elements.

  • To remove the rust in the oven, gently scrape the peeling paint away using a scraper or metal brush.
  • Sand the rusty surface to remove the rust streaks thoroughly. Then wipe it down to level off the surface.
  • Finally, coat the cavity with many coats of microwave paint. Not all colors are appropriate for the interior of a microwave oven.

Only microwave paints that have been adequately prepared can endure the extreme temperatures within the cavity. Allow it to dry between layers and let the paint completely dry before using the equipment.

How to Prevent Oven from Rusting?


Microwave ovens are susceptible to physical deterioration as they get older. The paint on the appliance’s interior may peel due to environmental exposure.

Maintaining your microwave regularly will keep it in good operating order. After each usage, wipe the microwave’s inside off using a moist cloth. Any spills should be immediately and quickly dried up. Food that has been spilled will harden if you let it sit.

After each microwave session, this remaining food will crisp up and build a thick layer. Later, removing it will be challenging. The residue will eventually cause corrosion within the oven.

Take the following actions to deal with spills and stains to prevent corrosion caused by food residue:

  • Put a dish containing water and a lemon slice in the microwave.
  • Let the water evaporate while operating the oven at a low temperature.
  • With a wet towel, gently coax the leftover material off.
  • Avoid using potent cleaning agents or abrasives when cleaning the inside of the oven.
  • Be cautious when cleaning the oven to prevent exposing bare metal and removing the paint off the surface.


Although rust on any microwave oven surface deserves attention, rust within the oven is particularly hazardous. However, rust within an oven makes it unfit for use in cooking food. It can swiftly spread and make the gadget dangerous to use.